Add a domain alias for your webhosting
In this article, you will learn how you can add a domain alias. Domain aliases allow you to point several domain names such as .NL and .EU to the same website. This can be useful for purposes such as branding.
Step 1: Log into Plesk
First, go to your client area and log in with your credentials.
My Dashboard and click on
Webhosting. Click on the web host you want to use.
If you click on
Login Details, you will see your login credentials.
Click on the URL above to log in.
Step 2: Adding a domain alias
At the left side panel, click on
Websites and Domains. Then click on
Add domain alias.
- Domain alias name: Insert the alias you want to use.
- For the domain: Choose for what domain you want the alias to be for.
- Synchronize the DNS zone with the primary domain.
- Mail service: If you select this option, the mailboxes will also be available under the alias.
- Web service: If this option is checked, the website will open in the browser at the alias’s URL.
- Redirect with the HTTP 301 code: For users and online search engines, the alias tends to be a different website. This can cause a problem because search engines index the content of the alias separately, this will make your primary domain lose search engine rankings. To avoid this, you can use redirection with the HTTP 301 code by selecting
Redirect with the HTTP 301 code.
OK to create a domain alias.
If everything went successful, you will see a green bar appear at the top.
Congratulations, you have successfully added a domain alias.